Monday, January 9, 2012

Four Year Old Lessons

I could learn a few lessons from her...

She eats her strawberry ice cream slowly, savoring each bite. She licks her lips, rescuing every taste that seemed to miss her mouth the first time. Life, for this four year old girl, is just like strawberry ice cream.

When did I stop thinking life was dessert?

In her mind, every day is a grand occasion. It should be greeted with a princess costume, lip gloss, and a ballerina bear.

Snack time is a tea party where everyone is treated as a special guest.

Naps are short because we have to make sure all little girls become fairies and the boys become princes, and there is simply no time to lose.

A ride in a tuk-tuk is an occasion for singing.

Why walk when you can dance from place to place?

She makes friends wherever she goes with a beautifully innocent trust.

Why am I always so suspicious?

Her world is filled with pink and purple. It's a world where her big brother is her prince, she knows she is always safe, and her great big God delights in her.

In her eyes, life is magic.

I tend to rush.... running to my next destination, staring at my clock. Always in a hurry, always anxious, trying very hard to be perfect.... and missing it.

Every day is a gift. Every breath a second chance. I am so busy asking God for grace for the next moment, the past moment, never really enjoying the grace of this present moment. I miss the beauty. I miss the joy. I miss Him.

May my heart always be like hers, resting in the beauty of where I am. Grateful for the chance to just be here.

Life is magic. May I always see it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment