Sunday, January 8, 2012

Alive in this moment

Once in a while, I have one of these moments....

We rode today on a tuk-tuk (took-took) through Phnom Phen to find a place for lunch. Past the open shops selling bicycles, rugs, haircuts, etc., past hundreds of drivers on motorcycles, past several Buddhist temples and little monks in orange robes.

I don't know how to explain it. Maybe I am secretly Southeast Asian. Maybe I'm just a girl who's been awakened to a secret, giggling with delight at new surroundings.

Their smiles... once in a while, I catch them looking at me, wondering why I'm here. And I smile, and realizing they've been discovered, they smile back. In that moment, it doesn't matter what skin color, background, language barrier we have. They see me, and I see them.

With every smile, the feeling grows stronger. the excitement, the wonder, the sheer joy at the place I am right now.

It's that moment when I just sit back and say, "Really God? Wow". A moment of gratitude and disbelief. A moment where all fear is erased, all worry, all anxiety about the unknown and the unexpected. Instead, there is only joy.

Welcome to Cambodia. 

No comments:

Post a Comment