Saturday, January 14, 2012

Cambodia is Magic

     Before I left, the phrase had been running through my mind every time I thought about this country.

     Cambodia is magic.

     I wasn't quite sure what that meant, and to be honest, I still am not sure.... but I have been given a taste. It's a culture trying to preserve itself while also trying to move forward. Amidst beautiful architecture and beautiful smiles are the painful strongholds of a religion that cannot save and a past that has yet to heal.

      But there is beauty here.... there is promise.

      "God, will you write your name on his heart?"

      It's hard to pray for everyone. It's hard to really know how to pray or be specific, so as we passed people while driving down the street, I would look. Sometimes their gaze would meet mine, sometimes not.   But I whispered those words on their behalf.

      And then I began to wonder where in the world I got that phrase. I've never prayed that before.

      So I asked Him, and this was my response:

      "'This is the covenant I will make... after that time', declares the Lord, 'I will put my law in their minds and write it on their hearts. I will be their God and they will be my people... they will know me from the least of them to the greatest', declares the Lord. 'for I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sin no more.'"
                                                                                       Jeremiah 31:33-34

       To be honest, I had asked Him that question earlier in the day and then forgot about it. During my quiet time that night, He led me here. I read this verse and was blown away. It was one of those moments when I just stop and think, "Really God?"

       It still blows me away to think about it as I write this. I wanted to share this with you so you may know and understand that God is here. Even when things look impossible and it seems like these people will never get better, He is here.

      Oh, He is here.

      Remember Cambodia, that the Lord will continue to write his name on their hearts and move with His Spirit.

      In a few minutes, our tuk-tuk driver will be here to take me to the airport, and tonight, I will be in the Philippines. I don't know what to expect, and honestly, my heart has been filled with fear throughout this week at the unknown.

       But I believe, and I will rest in His promises. And I will remember the faithfulness he has already shown me up to this point. I will remember His perfect love, and that love will cast out my fear. 

No comments:

Post a Comment