Saturday, June 18, 2011

My first word, My hero, My heart

     Your name was the first word I ever spoke.

      I have your eyes, and my ear does the same weird folding thing as yours. When you do things to embarrass me, I jokingly ask if you are really my father. But there's no denying it. I'm yours.

     I love that I inherited your sense of humor... corny jokes, Monty Python, and the ability to make yourself laugh at your own silliness. Your laugh is my favorite sound in the entire world, and whenever I am away, it's what I miss the most.

     I want to write a beautiful letter to tell you how much you mean to me. I wish that I had better words, or I could write a beautiful poem... but really, how do I tell you just what you have done for me, when really, you have given me everything. I will try, but I will fail. So I'm doing my best.

     I am who I am because of you, and that may sound confusing or cheesy, but it's true.

     I am a Florida Gator because you took me to my first football game at six months old. You explained the game to me, and watching football with you as I have grown up is one of my fondest memories, and one of my favorite things to do. UF vs. South Carolina in 2006. Jarvis Moss saves the season... we were there because of you. Heck to the yes.

     You took me on my first mission trip when I was 14 years old to Honduras. I served the people with you, and I watched you love those who were unfamiliar. When I told you I wanted to become a missionary, you didn't question God's calling or tell me to pick something else. Instead, you let me say "Yes" when so many other fathers I know of said "No". You let me dream and gave me the courage to be obedient.

     You taught me to speak words of life over those around me. I love that you prayed over me before I went to sleep every night, blessing me with "Happy Thoughts" and declaring the promises of God. I have in turn done "Happy Thoughts" with the little ones God has placed in my life, carrying on your tradition of blessing.

     I am safe when I am with you. I have never once had to worry that you would lift a hand in anger or hatred. I have never had to worry about being abandoned. Here I am, on the other side of the world, surrounded by women and children whose fathers are absent and evil. I am grateful more and more for who you have been as a father to me... a protector. I can trust you.

     You love my mom, and not just with words, but with actions. You value her and treasure her. You take care of her. Thank you.

     I have never once felt as though I needed the attention of a boy to fill any needs in my heart. I have never needed to flirt or get attention from other boys because you have been present with your heart and mind, not just your body. You give the best hugs (and the best presents). You have filled the need in my heart to be loved and valued.

     I have been told that I have high standards when it comes to boys, but it's no wonder considering you are my standard of comparison. I have watched as you love Jesus and my mother, and I know never to settle for anything less.

     I love hearing you sing and watching as you worship the Lord. I love your prayers, and the family meetings that go on for three hours.

     I love that playing games with you is impossible because you always accuse the other team of cheating.

     I love it when you try to dance.

     "Rule #1, obey all rules".

     "In the book of Chauncey, chapter 3"... Really sir, you're hilarious.

     You are my hero. You are my favorite person in the world. You are my strength, and you are my constant. I am able to love and minister to those around me becuase you have taught me how to love... completely, sacrificially, unconditionally.

     You showed me Jesus. How do I thank you for showing me life?

     I love you Daddy. I hope that your Father's Day is amazing, and know that I am lifting you in prayer every day, speaking "Happy Thoughts" over you.

     You are my heart.

      And all I said was this halibut was good enough for Jehovah...
    

No comments:

Post a Comment