Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The Bruise on Her Face

She always has the biggest hugs and the softest heart. Sweet, gentle, shining brown eyes, and soft cheeks you just want to kiss over and over. She always wears a sparkly dress. She is always smiling.

There was a bruise on the right side of her face today. Running from her temple to just above her eye. She didn't fall...

Sweet girl, what did you do? Were you just in the wrong place when his anger grew too hot to control? Did you say something and he responded with a hand instead of words? Where was your mother? Is this man even your real father?

How is she still smiling? Does she pretend everything is ok to escape? Has she just become numb? Does she turn up the charm to receive extra love?

I want to take her away and run as fast as we can from this place... from hell. She is fair skinned. She could pass as my daughter.

But I can't. So I lay hands over her, begging for protection and blessing. "Come again", she told me as we said goodbye. You too baby. Please God.

I look around at all of the brown eyes that have captured my heart. All with bruises on their hearts. It's so dangerous, the alleyways they call home. Evil not only lurks in the darkness but parades on the streets in daylights.

My sweet little ones. God protect them. Heal what is broken. They have seen more than I can possibly imagine... mothers being raped, being raped themselves, abused with words, objects, hands and feet, drugs, the brutal beatings of their mothers and siblings and neighbors, friends cut to pieces. I wish I was exaggerating. God, I wish I was being dramatic, but I'm not.

This is their reality. Don't pray for me. Pray for them. Pray for her. God, get her out.

No comments:

Post a Comment