Monday, May 30, 2011

Freedom...

     "You can only offer someone freedom in Jesus Christ if you are being continually set free yourself..."

     It seems like freedom has been the theme of the day today. Kind of appropriate considering today was Memorial Day, which I had completely forgotten until I got on Facebook. I began my time with Jesus this morning by reading in Galatians. In this book, Paul is consistently reminding the people of Galatia that because of Jesus Christ, we are no longer bound as slaves to the law. Instead, we have freedom as children and heirs to eternity. Then today in devotions, Beth spoke the words quoted above as she read from Psalm 125 and spoke from her heart.  
     The more I am immersed in this culture, the better I understand just what that means to be called heirs and no longer slaves. In India, your father's name means everything. You cannot get a ration card (which is like the government saying "Hey you exist"). You have no standing. On a side note, we have been told when people ask why we are in India to say "My father gave me permission". This shows that we respect our parents and that our father's have authority over our lives. Your identity is in your father.
      As a result of God claiming us as heirs and no longer as slaves, he gives us an indentity and no longer are we slaves. I am no longer a slave to my flesh. I am no longer a slave to the law that exposed my sin and filth. Rather, I am set free by Jesus Christ who came to take the punishment my sins deserved.
     Yet, like a caged bird who has been set free, I forget about that freedom. I run back to the things I was bound to... fear, lust, anger, pride, expectations... and I forget that I can walk in newness and hope. Not only can I walk... I can fly.
      Today we watched a documentary called "Born into Brothels", filmed in a red light district of Calcutta. The movie follows an American woman as she teaches several children how to take pictures and tries to help them get an education. I highly recommend the movie because it gives an insight into life inside the brothels, but at the same time, it must be watched with caution. The film does nothing to disguise the reality these children face, and therefore, is not a family movie. Also, the documentary won an Academy Award, but there was a huge backlash because it exposed the lives of men and women who did not want to be exposed. As a result, ministry inside the red light district was closed for a while. Dear friends, no photograph, film, or story, regardless of the good that might come from it for a few, is ever worth compromising a chance to share the Gospel. Even as I share with you, I must be extremely careful that I not exploit those I am working with for the sake of a good story.

     However, while watching the film today, I learned that one of the girls, a girl who believed she had no hope for a future, has since accepted Jesus and is working to help other women from the red light district. This girl was not allowed to go to school, and it seemed as if she was destined to sell her body for the rest of her life. Yet, she has found hope. In contrast, another little girl in the movie had a chance at an education and a way out. Unfortunately, she is now one of the most popular and well known prostituted women in Calcutta.
      Two girls... one has found freedom, and the other is still enslaved. It is easy to be overwhlemed when surrounded by constant poverty and oppression. It is also easy to think that I have nothing to offer these people. I can't give them an education. I cannot offer medicine. All I have to offer is Jesus. But He reminded me today that is all I need. One girl had a chance at an education, something we are so guilty of placing trust in, and it did nothing for her. The other girl had no chance at hope, and she had since found real and lasting life.
        The only freedom that will last is freedom in Jesus. While I may not necessarily be in physical chains, I am in spiritual ones... enslaved to the guilt of my past, fears of the present, and worries over the future. It is only though the redemptive power of Jesus Christ that came to bind the brokenhearted and set the captives free that I can truly have life as his child.
        It is only when we have experienced freedom that we can offer that freedom to others... and whoever Jesus sets free is free indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment