Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Land!

After flying and traveling for about 48ish hours, I can finally breathe in the hazy Calcutta air. First impressions of India? It's hot! But other than that, I am really excited. Due to the craziness and chaos leading up to this trip (graduation/my best friend's wedding), it was hard to mentally focus on this adventure. I think in the back of my mind, I knew I was going to India, but the reality had not yet sunk in. Even in my jet lag induced state, I am not quite sure if it has fully sunk in yet, but nevertheless, I am here.
 
My flights were relatively easy and comfortable... and there was very little turbulence, so praise God for that. For anyone flying overseas, I recommend Continental airlines. As far as 14 hour flights go, it wasn't too shabby.

I flew Monday morning from Jacksonville to Chicago and then Newark, where I met the two other girls on my team. Chelsea is from Missouri, and Carolina is from Florida (another UF graduate). From Newark, we flew to Dehli where we stayed overnight with a wonderful American woman named Gina. I was able to get a few solid hours of sleep in while at her apartment, so that was a blessing and gave me the energy needed to make it through one more flight.

Our last air excursion took us from Delhi to our final destination... Calcutta. We were met by three Americans who are in charge of us-- Emily, Janelle, and Beth. From the airport, we made our way to the Baptist Guest House where we will be staying (which is a block away from Mother Theresa's place--heck yes!) and then on to lunch and coffee.

Beth, Janelle, and Emily are absolutely wonderful. They began sharing their ideas with us about this summer and what all they have planned. I know my glazed over expression doesn't really convey the depths of my excitement, but I really can't wait to see what all God has in store.

My goal tonight is to make it to 6pm, and then sleep... and possibly take a Benadryl so I will stay asleep (and maybe knock out any possible allergies I could have developed). Tomorrow morning we have orientation, shop for Indian clothes (!), and will be  going to a youth conference.
Things I have learned so far...
*The red dot on an Indian woman's forehead is for decoration, and there are distinctions between married and unmarried women.
*Cows like to run in the middle of the road... I'm assuming they think it's fun... kind of like a "Hey, welcome to Calcutta. I am the sacred cow and I own this road" message to the new people. Really they do because cows are so revered that if you hit one, you're in big trouble.
*Indians are quite friendly and will quickly return a smile and hello.
Things to pray for...
*Unity among myself and my teammates.
*The ability to quickly defeat jet lag so we can be effective in ministry
*Wisdom and discernment from the Holy Spirit

On the plane on the way from Delhi to Calcutta, I sat beside this sweet little Indian woman who was obviously Hindu and spoke little English. Given my obvious lack of ability to communicate with her, I smiled and tried to help her as much as I could. But then I realized something... the one thing I truly have to offer her ... the Gospel... I couldn't. It broke my heart, and as I began to pray for her, it struck me. My mind likes to wander into all kinds of insane scenarios, but then it just hit me... what was I willing to do/go through so she could hear the Gospel? My mind instantly flashed to the plane crashing and all of these things happening and I began to wonder "Am I truly willing to do anything for her to know Jesus?" Chances are, she has never heard his name. Yet, do I really believe that the Gospel is important enough that I am willing to risk-- even give up-- everything. Fortunately, my plane did not crash, but still as I prayed for her, all I could do was pray that God would shape my heart. I am a very weak person. I like comfort. I like safety. Yet, when will Jesus truly matter more than anything else?

I am praying for a changed heart... to stand before my God and be humbled by His power and grace. I am praying for divine appointments. I am praying for that woman. God please, somehow, let her know...

No comments:

Post a Comment