Thursday, August 23, 2012

When Beauty Finds You


Find the beauty… my heart has been crying this lately, screaming for something to behold, to take my breath away, to be in awe.

My grandparent’s garden… one of my favorite places in the world. Maybe my favorite place. Magical battles have been fought under the shelter of its trees and in the coolness of its streams. In my enchanted world, the prince always fought for the princess, and the princess rose to the challenge of rescuing her people from certain despair. Good triumphed evil and dreams came true.

It was especially magical just after a rainfall, when the air was still damp with the remnants of the storm, the sky still covered in clouds, the birds reemerging from the shelter in the trees. All was peaceful, and the garden was full of possibilities.

It was in that garden I dreamed of love. I dreamed of the prince who would come one day and the magic of falling in love. I wanted to be the princess, the heroine, the one who saw beauty, radiated beauty.

I always though the prince of my story was someone one day tangible, someone far off in the distance, some one years away.

Yet, the prince of my childhood dreams  has been here all along, the inspiration of my stories who led me to dreams that were a reflection of Him.

He has been the prince who would sacrifice everything to rescue me, who inspires me to rescue my people, who gave me the desire to seek beauty, because that beauty is a reflection of Him.

As I seek beauty, as I seek magic, He draws me closer to himself.

He knew my heart has been craving beauty.

We went to the mountains the other day, and I was expecting the beauty to come in the form of rainbows and waterfalls… but it was something else.

On a rainy afternoon, I took a walk to be alone, be with Him.

Clouds covered the sky and a cool breeze sent my hands deep in the pockets of my jacket.

And just down the road, He won my heart all over again.

I asked for a flower, and He gave me a garden.

Exotic flowers, birds, butterflies, all to myself. This little oasis in the middle of a city. And I want to giggle and blush like the twelve year old girl I feel like on the inside.

He knows, doesn’t He? My prince knows how to romance me, to remind me of magic, to love just for the simple joy of loving.

In spite of my flaws and failures, the brokenness I have caused His heart, caused for myself.
He never spent time criticizing or writing a list of grievances. He just loved me, in the way He knew I would feel it, know it, be sure of it.

I walk around, Mary Lennox discovering her own secret garden in a busy world. I take pictures, I sing, I discover beauty.
There were no great revelations that took place in that time. I didn’t walk away with a new vision for the future or answers to questions.

But that’s ok.

Because He knew what I needed… to be loved, to be wanted, to behold something wonderful.

And He did it by bringing me a garden… a place I have always loved, found peace, felt secure and protected, believed in magic and miracles.

And I fall in love all over again.

“My lover spoke and said to me ‘Arise, my darling, my beautiful one and come with me. See! The winter is past; the rains are over and gone. Flowers appear on the earth; the season of singing has come.” Song of Solomon 2:10-11

No comments:

Post a Comment