Sunday, June 17, 2012

Soon

I stood around a kitchen counter tonight with some of my dearest friends, and I thought of you.

One father absent.

Two fathers dead.

One father emotionally absent, too absorbed in his own problems to understand.

And I though of you.

Maybe it's true that absence makes the heart grow fonder. But what I am finding is that the longer I am away, the more I am grateful, the more I realize just how much I owe you.

Because you didn't have to stay.

But you did.

You didn't have to love.

But you did.

You didn't have to come to every dance recital, quiz bowl competition, family game night, breakfast time, church service, random performance...

But you did.

You didn't have to say yes when He called me to the other side of the world.

But you did.

And I can never say thank you enough.

I believe that God is a good Dad... because you are a good dad.

I believe that God is someone I can trust... because you have never broken my trust.

I believe that I have value... because you showed me my value.

I believe that to be a leader, I must be a servant... because you lead by serving.

I believe that every human being has worth and dignity... because you demonstrate that for me every day.

I have high standards... because you have laid a foundation and shown me a love worth waiting for.

I speak blessing over my little ones... because you have spoken blessing over me.

You love me. I have never doubted that once in my life.

I have never been afraid of you.

I respect you more and more with each day.

And soon, very soon Daddy, I will get to show you the places my feet walk every day. I will show you my home. I will introduce you to my little ones, my favorite places in the world.

And it's all because of you. Because You have demonstrated a complete trust in Jesus that has given me the freedom to follow Him with all of my heart.

And soon, very soon, you will be getting the biggest hug I can possibly give.

I love you sir. My hero, my heart. And I can't wait to hear your laugh...

Soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment