Sunday, August 25, 2013

For Those Who Wait


I watched as she explained the news in Tagalog. The room was filled with people, Filipino and white. English would have been understood, but news like this must be shared in the heart language.

I watched their faces… the embarrassment at being the center of attention, the mind trying to comprehend and process what they were being told. Their eyes moved from her face to the pictures in front of them.

This is your family.

How could a heart so young understand something like this?

How could they possibly know what this will mean when their world has consisted of the dumpsite they used to call home and now these four walls.

And I watched the rest of their faces. The other little ones who will still be here when they are gone.

Some cried tears because they will miss their best friends, and as beautiful as it is, adoption is hard.

And some cried the tears of the left behind. The pain of it’s not yet my turn.

They pray for families.

Each child, regardless of whether or not he or she can fully understand what this will mean… they all pray for families.

And they wait.

One little boy verbalized his desire for the first time this week… at least, it’s the first time I heard him say it out loud.

This little boy is ten years old. He loves to play cards, basketball, and action figures. He wins medals for running track, is vice president of his class,  and he is brilliant in school.

And he just wants a family.

There is the large sibling group of five with the big brother who wraps his arms around his sisters protectively. He watches over them, holding their hands when they go to the park, always on his guard to defend them. He’s the kind of big brother I wish I had.

And they just want to be together.

They will. They will stay together because we don’t separate sibling groups.

But they don’t understand how much harder this will make for someone to say yes.

And they’re waiting for someone to say yes.

I can give you 74 stories.

I could show you 74 pictures and give you 74 names.

God knows there will be more.

But to you, those stories, names, and pictures will remain that way unless He grabs a hold of your heart.

Do you understand that these precious little ones are waiting?

Living with them, seeing them every day, one would think that I would always be aware of this fact. But sometimes I need to be reminded, too. 

I have seen more clearly in the past week how His heart beats for them. Our God stands in the gap on behalf of them, restoring them in the deepest places we cannot even imagine.

One of our big girls sang a song for our visitors. Six months ago, she never would have done that.

One sweet baby boy let himself come near the new faces in his space, and he didn’t fall apart. Three months ago, he would have screamed in agony.

They are healing. Yes, there are issues and moments of pain. Yes, the issues resurface as the little one cries out, “Will you still love me if I am like this?”

But there is beauty. So much beauty that I miss.

God, help me see the beauty.

Oh, how His heart beats for them.

He sets the solitary in families. He defends the fatherless, the ones left without someone to defend them.

Why would He not move mountains on their behalf to bring them the families they deserve?

You may not be ready to welcome a little one, but maybe a little one is ready for you.

Maybe God is tugging at your heart, asking you to put away the excuses and trust.

Maybe He asks that you take the first step and simply follow, allowing Him to do the rest.

Now, I know it is not really that simple. There are finances to consider, things to get in order, budgets to plan, and the next 18 years that will require more commitment and sacrifice.

And it’s going to be hard.

Of course it is going to be hard!

Adoption is one of the most visible representations of the Gospel of Jesus Christ to the world. The Enemy will do everything He can to plant the seeds of doubt…

You can’t afford this…

What about your retirement plans…

Your  “real children” will suffer…

You have enough issues as it is. How could you possibly parent a child like that?

You aren’t good enough…

You will never get approved…

You are too old…

Your adopted child will hate you…

What if he/she has problems beyond your control?

Oh, He loves to plant doubt and destroy the dreams of the Lord.

And do you know what the Enemy will whisper to their hearts?

You are not worth it...

A new family will abuse you, too...

No one will ever want you, love you, choose you...

You are too much...

You will always be an orphan...

If your own mother couldn't stay, why would someone else...

You can't trust anyone...

God doesn't hear you...

 But my God is bigger than the lies. 

My God is able to supply all needs.

My God is Mighty to save.

My God will move heaven and earth for the sake of His little ones.

I can tell you first hand that when children pray, mountains move.

                                           .........................................................................

I can also tell you the story of a little boy who was placed in my arms three years ago. This little boy has a piece of my heart that will never be replaced. He is my buddy, my special friend.

And for three years, I have been praying for his family.

I prayed for a mother and father who would love Jesus. I prayed that they would be tender and loving, understanding of his needs, devoted to their family. And I prayed that he would have a big brother.

Two weeks ago, I met his mother and father… and his big brother and sister. The mother is gentle and firm. The father is warm and loving. They are devoted to their children, solid, consistent, beautiful. And they love Jesus.

Three years ago, almost to the month, they began the process that would lead them to this little boy.

My God answers prayer on behalf of His little ones.

I don’t know what is standing in your way, what doubts, what fears you might have.

But I know my God is bigger.

I believe that every believer has a role to play in caring for His little ones, a way of reflecting His heart beat whether it is praying for little ones, supporting adoptive families, caring for His little ones, welcoming them into your life. Where do you fit? Where can you join?

And maybe you are not yet praying for someone. Maybe adoption has not even crossed your mind. Maybe you just aren’t ready.

But maybe someone is getting ready for you.

Maybe, someone is praying for you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment