Monday, July 16, 2012

And One Day They Will Be Queens

     It began with a hand, her little hand grabbing mine. They were walking in the opposite direction when they saw us, she and her little sister, another little friend and his brother.

     She saw and she grabbed my hand, and they joined our little band of merry women as we walked the paths they take every day. And she didn't let go... except when I let go to hug the grandmother I haven't seen in a long time, the baby with the swollen head full of water, the little girl I have been looking for and finally found.

     But she waited, patiently, for me to return. And she grabbed my hand again and didn't let go.

     The hand soon turned into an arm around my waist, and then two. And the little arms became a hug, and she opened them to welcome others.

     But she didn't leave my side, and to be honest, I didn't want to leave hers.

     From hand to hug to shared giggle to hearts that mutually speak please don't let me go.

     And I saw her... another little girl. A familiar face I have a picture of from two years ago. I don't know if she remembers me, but I have carried that face in my heart. I met the little sisters she leads by the hand. An unsure and uncomfortable hug goodbye. I have missed her, and now there is a name to attach to the face.

     Still this other one. One little girl I have known for years. She will call my name and say "Hello", but she won't come near. Her smiles hold a world of secrets and I wonder what her life is like when all is silent and we are gone.

      The dreams I have for the little girls in this area, really, they are because of her.

       And there are still more... big sisters with the weight of the world on their shoulders, the hugs I won't dare let go before they do. And we smile and whisper blessings and prayers because they have value.

        Their world says they have nothing, but He sees them and they are valuable and precious and cherished.

         Sweet little princesses, your King delights in you. How do I help you know?

No comments:

Post a Comment