Saturday, December 31, 2011

It Happened One Year...

     2011 was a year of lessons. It was a year that dreams came true, and I caught a glimpse of the heart of God that drove me deeper than ever before. I want to share with you some of the highlights of this past year, a testimony to the faithfulness of God and his ability to still use me despite my moments of stubbornness.

*January
       I started off January at Atlanta Christmas Conference with Campus Crusade for Christ. On New Year's Day, we went out into the community, ministering to people and sharing Christ. I had the opportunity to lead a woman to Jesus named D. Her story broke my heart, yet it reminded me that God is bigger than our pain, and He sees us, even when we believe we are invisible. I then returned to school for my last semester of college at Uf, gearing up for the beginning of an end.

*February
       I don't know why in the world I volunteered, but for some strange reason, I was put in charge of food for Women's Retreat... an event held every year for the women of Crusade to, well, retreat and learn more about Jesus. In order to plan food for the event, I had to ask various businesses for donations-- something I utterly despise-- as well as make sure I had enough for everyone. Little did I know this would be a lesson where He would stretch me, showing me that sometimes I am asked to do things that require more than I believe I can handle to remind me to lean on him. It's a lesson I needed for later.

*March
     I learned to ask forgiveness. Sometimes, if you want to encourage others not to live in fear, you have to practice it yourself.

*April
     Slightly a whirlwind... I finished my thesis (yay!), graduated from college (in red heels), packed my belongings and left my home of the past two years. I officially hate goodbyes.

*May
     My best friend got married. I really could write a whole book on the things I learned about weddings and wedding planning from here, but I'll save that for later. Let's just say I officially hate steaming sheets, and jumping pictures never end well for me. More importantly, I was reminded that time goes by quickly. My relationship with my best friend is forever chnaged because she is now part of a new family with new responsibilities. Change will happen, but it doesn't always have to be painful. If I am willing, change can be beautiful.

*June
     India. Mysterious. Beautiful. Crowded. Overwhelming. Wonderful, India. Really, I left for India at the end of May, but that time was spent trying to recover from jet lag, so my experiences began in June. I officially love Indian food--it's like a party in your mouth with so many flavors. Indian women also know how to dress... color, jewels, and elegance. Indian children are so beautiful with their black hair, dark eyes, brown skin.
     God broke my heart in a new way for the women and children of India... He did so through a group of boys I love. Those boys are the future of the red light districts, and lasting change will come when those boys seek Christ with all of their hearts and say no to the life around them. There is no darkness the light of Christ cannot overcome. He is light, and even in places where I believe there is total brokenness and despair, He is there.

*July
     After India, I went back to Gentle Hands in Manila for three weeks. As much as I love India, there is just something about the Philippines. It's home. Familiar. I spent much of that time in the hospital with little ones as God revealed new facets of my future to me. I don't know how to explain it... I come to life there.

*August
     I can't say I was the nicest person in August. I came home, and I informed my parents that I would not be going to grad school. I also sent two sisters away to college. Then I began three different jobs in an attempt to save money and figure out what in the world God was calling me to do. "Wait and Trust", was His response. Great... one thing I hate and the other I am not good at doing. At all.

*September
     He did answer. He told me to go home... to Manila. After much prayer, Mom and Dad said yes. I turned 22 years old, and began to prepare for a journey unlike anything I could have ever planned or imagined.

*October
     Once again, I was reminded by God that sometimes He will ask me to do things that are too much for me to handle in my own strength. Case in point: Treat Street, the Halloween extravagaanza that I planned for my church. There were definately several moments when I just had to shake my head and wonder, "What on earth am I doing?". Fortunately, God is good and Treat Street was a success. I now have a few premature grey hairs on my head.

*November
     God is faithful, and not only is He faithful, but He cares about the details and every life is valuable to Him. I was reminded of this when I went with my mom to North Carolina and visit Angelica, my sweet little girl from the Philippines who was adopted in September. Two and a half years spent praying for the life of my little girl, and God fulfilled those hopes and dreams and so much more. My heart is full.

*December
     Christmas. Magic. Getting ready to say good bye. I think one of the most important things I learned is that it is ok if I do not have lots of friends. Instead, I would rather have a small group of friends who walk with me through the good and the bad. As a result, I have been able to develop much more meaningful friendships, I have been blessed with people who will speak truth and grace into my life.


     2011 was a good year, a year that God used to help me fall deeper, dive deeper, trust more, heal. There were moments of pain, but for every one, there was grace, given by a very real and present God who is good. He is strong, and He is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment